Geometra and Architect
Carlo Gastaldi was born in Sanremo on 3 March 1862.
He began his career in France and the Principality of Monaco as Charles Garnier's designer with whom he designed the Casino of Monte Carlo and Villa Garnier in Bordighera. He collaborated with Pio Soli on the construction of the Villa del Sole, the Presbyterian Church, built in 1884 next to the Paris Hotel and demolished in 1936.
Among the many works to which he contributed are: the elevation of a floor of Villa Nobel, the church and the Waldensian house in Via Roma, the Carmelite church, the Cassini house on the corner of Corso Mombello and Via Roma, three small villas in the park of the Hotel de Nice, Casa Moreno, Palazzo Escoffier in Via Roma, the altar of the church of Santa Maria degli Angeli sculpted by Enrico Formaggini and many others.
He was the author of the addition of the external structures and the garden of the Hotel Royal, the transformation of the former Hotel Victoria into the property of the Sisters of the Sacred Heart, the enlargement of the Collegio San Romolo, the unification of two villas to build the Hotel des Etrangers and also carried out the project for the Free Deposit at the port.
He also died in Sanremo on 6th December 1934.
(Source Marco Mauro)