Mayor and Member of Parliament
Count Stefano Roverizio di Roccasterone, was born in Sanremo on 4 June 1809 to Giovanni Maria and Antonia.
He was a descendant of an ancient noble family, originally from Ceriana, who had built the palace of the same name overlooking what is now Via Escoffier.
He was a man of great honesty and a very good administrator, he was mayor of the town for several terms: from 1844 to 1848, from 1850 to 1855 and finally from 1875 to 1878. He was also a member of the Ligurian-Piedmontese Parliament.
He dealt with the port, publishing a booklet "Cenni di Roverizio di Roccasterone sulla pratica del porto" (1849) and was interested in the political, administrative and economic problems of the Sanremo district, publishing another booklet "Il nuovo centro amministrativo pel Circondario di Sanremo e d'Oneglia" (1860), after the cession of Nice to France.
The works worthy of mention, which Count Roverizio undertook, are: the Establishment of the Leprosarium, the purchase of the ancient convent of the Jesuit Fathers, the consortium road from Sanremo to Ceriana, the opening of a road, later called Private Roverizio made on his own initiative, which connected the gardens of the Marsaglia park with the Berigo and then left for the use of the citizens, the completion of Via Vittorio Emanuele II on the eastern side of the city, the rearrangement of Corso della Marina, the paving of Via Feraldi and Via Debenedetti, Corso dell'Imperatrice with its gardens, the rearrangement of the carriage road from Poggio to Madonna della Guardia and finally the Teatro Principe Amedeo.
He died in Sanremo on 27th February 1890.
(source : Marco Mauro)